Monday, May 14, 2012

things not to try at home (unless you're me) pt.1

1. cut your own bangs

I've been growing out my bangs since mid-March, but after watching 500 Days of Summer for the 800th time last week, I decided I wanted them back. But I also only have $4 in the bank. So, I decided to risk my own DIY bangs.

Now, if I had a dollar for every time I heard "don't cut your own bangs," and another dollar for the hair horror story that invariably followed, I would have enough money to pay off my student loans. And, the two times I have cut my bangs on my own, I ended up wearing a hat for a month.

However.

That didn't stop me from trying it again. (see: Audrey's unflappable optimism)

So after 20 tense minutes of staring cross-eyed into my bangs, holding a giant pair of sewing shears, I was finished. And congrats to me, because they they look good. Turns out the key to cutting good bangs is holding the scissors vertically as you cut, and just go slow. Another DIY Bangs pro-tip is to not be 12 years old when you try it.

And voila, you save $15 by not going to the salon.


huzzah for marginal hair talent.


1 comment:

Kim said...

I honest to God thought that you had gone out and paid to have your bangs done!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...