Sunday, November 4, 2012

Wire-versary!

This weekend, I had another Horse Show Announcer gig at an outdoor horse show. It was basically me sitting outside on a plastic chair giving ring commands and announcing winners for 7 hours while eating donuts and drinking hot chocolate and eating more donuts and almost contracting frost bite on my toes because I don't own a pair of "winter" shoes. 

But hey, it's a living. And Mary was freaking awesome and spent both days hanging out with me so I'd have someone to talk to and fetch hot chocolate for me between rounds. And she also let me use her hot water/water pressure-tastic shower and made me tacos and helped me comb out the rats nest of my hair. Seriously, my sister rocks. (and Mary, this totally makes us even for all those dishes I had to do :)


When I got home today, I was exhausted. I put on fat pants STRAIGHT OUT OF THE DRYER and poured a glass of wine and sat down to decompress and watch some Boardwalk Empire, because I'm hopelessly behind on it. But I saw that HBO onDemand listed The Wire. I checked it out, and it was the last 5 episodes of season 4, my favorite season. Instantly distracted, I chose an episode and started watching. Then I thought about it... and then checked my LiveJournal for verification (yes shut up, I had an active LiveJournal when I was 25)... and sure enough, today, November 4, marks 4 years since I watched the very last episode of The Wire. 4 years since I sat back and thought, for the very first time, "holy shit. just holy shit, goddamn, what will I do now that it's over?"

I've seen one or two shows in the past 4 years that have left me with that feeling, but you know what they say. Nothing compares to your first. And to this day, The Wire is still my favorite series. 





So to commemorate this auspicious occasion, I've copied and pasted from the entry I made on my LJ on November 4, 2008. BEWARE WIRE SPOILER ALERTS BELOW DON'T READ ON IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED IT YET OR GO AHEAD AND READ ON IF YOU DON'T LIKE SURPRISES AND KINDA HATE LIFE AND THE JOY THE UNFORESEEN CAN BRING. 


Relevant and Insightful Conversations on The Wire


Me: sometimes I think how cool it'd be if McNulty came in asking for records of our shady patients, and I'd say, "not without a warrant" and he's like, "I've got your warrant right here"
Scott: and?
Me: and he totally whips out his warrant and I have to hand the records over.
Scott: oh that's hot.

Craig: snot boogie?
Me: YOURE WATCHING IT!!
Craig: just found all 5 seasons in my office. yay distributors.
Me: how do you like it?
Craig: i'll let you know after I rub ALL of season one over my body
Me: the wire is the reason god put sex holes in dvd's.

{an hour later}

Me: where are you right now? what's happening?
Craig: {long story about what's been going on in his life}
Me: oh shit... just meant where are you in the wire...


Addie: clocks go back on saturday. now we'll get another full hour to watch the wire!
Me: i LOVE daylight savings time!

Addie: what's wrong?
Me: i can't move. season 4 was so good, it fucking broke me. all my feeling is gone, i'm just a void now that it's over.
Addie: told ya it was good. just wait til you start season 5.

Scott: i bet mcnulty's car smells like a sloppy school girl.
Me: i dont know. the scene in s 5 where he was banging that girl on the hood of the car was kinda... hot
Scott: wow
Me: whatever. he could wipe boogies on you while calling you a dirty girl and you'd still spooge in your short shorts.
Scott: Don't say things like that--you know i can't handle it
Me: oh, i think you could "handle" it.

Me: i'd never put a weapon on you, even if you was in the game.
Scott: i'd pick you up from the joint with a jersey after i helped you get released after framing an asshole guard for killing inmates

Me: ...i'm going to put it in a story called "audrey and mcnulty's day at the farm: an exploration in 3 parts"
Scott: is most of it about him cheating on Bea?
Me: most of it is about me getting at his socks.

Addie: i hope the absence of new wire episodes doesnt make you realize you only liked me bc i showed you the wire
Me: oh god, me too. haha

Me: I'm about to watch.the.last.episode. :(
Scott: the feeling you have will now will stick with you forever


And it has.


Four years later, we still get excited about it:



We live fulfilling lives
In other news: I'm bailing on NaNoWriMo this year. It's all in the game. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...